This page serves to host various useful resources for the UCSD Green New Deal movement.
“Adults keep saying we owe it to the young people, to give them hope, but I don’t want your hope. I don’t want you to be hopeful. I want you to panic. I want you to feel the fear I feel every day. I want you to act. I want you to act as you would in a crisis. I want you to act as if the house is on fire, because it is.” – Greta Thunberg
There is a limited time-window to turn down fossil fuel emissions before global heating produces even more catastrophic effects. Dozens of cities and some entire countries have now declared a planetary emergency. We cannot expect wider societal change until we see it where we are. At UCSD we must bring attention to the climate crisis and we must create institutional change. If interested, please get in touch.
- Key literature about anthropogenic global heating.
- 1. Science: Jeffrey Bennett’s basic primer [free]
- 2. Science: James Hansen’s nutshell document [free]
- 3. Impacts: David Wallace-Well’s ‘Uninhabitable Earth’, magazine [free], book
- 4. Sociopolitical: Naomi Klein’s capitalism vs. the climate, book.
- 5. Carbon Brief: An excellent website of up-to-date information.
- Watch Dr Ramanathan’s talk to the UCSD Psychology Department, April 2019.